CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Let it Snowglobe, Let it Snowglobe, Let it Snowglobe!


The dresser in our bedroom has many mini wonderlands on display in a row. I started the collection for Kevin before we even met, actually, and we have added new globes on our various outings and trips together. The first one I bought him was in Denver in May of '07, during the first weeks of our courtship. Unfortunately, I had decided to pack it in my carry on bag, and it was confiscated by security at DIA. Like I was going to hijack the plane with the sharp little plastic Rocky Mountains! So, the evil ones at security stole my gift (which I'm sure went straight to the gift shop on the other side of the checkpoint for some poor sap to buy for $3 more than I paid for it.) and I quickly dashed into the gift shop on the other side of the checkpoint and bought another globe for $3 more than I paid for the first one.

Here's a rundown on the other prized globes...

2007 Mickey Mouse from Disneyland, from Kevin's first trip to DLand. Sadly, it fell from the shelf in Kevin's room and has no glass, snow or water, but we love him anyway.

Next we have the Space Needle with the ring toss catching game in the water. This one was donated by Megan, who got it from Kevin via an Air Force trip.

Sideled up to the Seattle landmark is the penguin. Megan picked this one out for me for Christmas 07, our first one together. It is a big globe and the penguin is shiny.

In front of him is the Trees of Mystery tiny globe from our honeymoon in the Redwoods. We only stopped at the Trees to shop and go to the bathroom, but it was the only Redwood globe we could find. The tiny Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox are quite ironic and make me laugh.

Musical Wizard of Oz is the next one. The WW of the W is flying overhead as the famous foursome, Dorothy, Tin Man, Scarecrow and Lion make their way to Oz. I've had this globe for almost 20 years, and it has moved with me 4 times.

Where the little Mickey Mouse Christmas Caroler from 2003 came from, I'm not sure, but he is still welcome and adored.

Valentine Mickey in a small heart shaped globe is just to the right. Little red hearts flutter down when shaken. Love is literally in the air, I guess.

Ahhh... the Rocky Mountains replacement globe at last. Not as nice as the first one I bought, but Colorado-ish anyway.

A very skinny bride and groom are next. Also very ironic, but the words on the base are great. "Love is not about who you live with... It's about who you can't live without." Amen to that.

Next is a do-it-yourself snowglobe that I made for Kev with a picture of us kissing at Disneyland in it. I'm pretty sure we are the only ones to have one of those.

Lovely Lake Tahoe is right next door. We went for two nights in November and had a really good time seeing the sights and to a comedy club. Who doesn't like Lake Tahoe?

San Francisco Skyline in a tiny globe is next. Wonderful memories of the day I bought it and Kevin telling me he loved me for the first time make this my favorite. Good times in the city.

The famous Winchester Mystery House towers over the tiny city by the bay, and reminds me of one of our first blended family outings and Kevin keeping me calm when I felt like I was falling apart from cranky tired kids. He is a keeper, isn't he?

The newest addition, a very small Bubba Gumps light up stamping snow globe with the shrimp logo was purchased last weekend when we had lunch in SF with Angel and her hubby, Bob. Yay for fried fish and shrimp!

Last, and certainly not least is the Yuba City snowglobe. Yep, you heard me, Yuba City. Purchased at Walgreens, where you can purchase many other tacky tourist items. This was to help Kevin not miss me when we were still living in two houses. I think it worked. The gold panner inside was probably a very nice companion to chat with, when I couldn't be there.


For some reason, we also have a Fisher Price Little People Safari Lady figurine and then there's the little Tahoe Joe's skier chick from our 4 month dating anniversary dinner out. They seem to fit the quirkiness of the scene and they act as global security agents, I do believe.

0 comments: